Are some of us inherently evil?
Does education help?
Nature or nurture?
I struggled to answer these questions 2-3 years ago when I was doing GP. Up till now, I still do not have a definite answer. I had always believed that the answer is nature(until this question was thrown at me in JC). I didn't believe in the phrase "人性本善". Of course, some evidences do point out that most problem kids, criminals, etc have had unhappy childhood, or they were often severely affected by certain events when they were young.
Another question comes to mind, what is 'evil'? Committing crimes? Doing things that are "morally wrong"? What is the definition of 'morals'? Values, virtues, ...?
I wondered: Where are the sources of my opinions, why do I think this way? I asked my mum, "did you teach me xxx since I was young? Why do I
just think that I need to behave in this particular way? Why do I know that these values are important? Why?" She answered, 'yes' but only to some of the values.
Well, how do we teach 'morals'? If told as a child "no you can't do that, that's wrong.", some children may nod, apologise and keep that in mind, some may nod, apologise but disagree in silence, some may disagree blatantly with "I don't care, why is that wrong?" We form opinions since young. So, nature or nurture?
I guess having expectations leads to disappointment?
On a side note, YL, if you are reading this, cheer up! I would think that, at least this incident enabled you to see the person's true colours.
以为=失望